1. Which one among the following are external aids to interpretation?
C. Proviso clause
Correct Answer - D. Dictionary
2. Under which section of the General Clauses Act does the effect of repeal is stated?
A. Section 3
B. Section 4
C. Section 6
D. Section 8
Correct Answer - C. Section 6
3. Statutes that are there in existence for a specified fixed period is known as
A. Permanent Statute
B. Temporary Statute
C. Codifying Statute
D. Remedial statute
Correct Answer - B. Temporary Statute
4. Which legal maxim means “to stand by things decided”?
A. Stare Decisis
B. Ration Descending
C. In Bonem Partem
D. Ejusdem Generis
Correct Answer - A. Stare Decisis
5. Doctrine of Mischief Rule was given under
A. Foss Vs Harbottle
B. Heydon’s Case
C. Thomson Vs Clan Morris
D. Foster Vs DiphwysCasson
Correct Answer - B. Heydon’s Case
6. Which of the following rules of interpretation are applicable to Taxation Statutes?
A. Liberal and wide interpretation
B. Strict and narrow interpretation
C. Beneficial interpretation
D. Utilitarian interpretation
Correct Answer - B. Strict and narrow interpretation
7. In Exchequer Vs. Heydon  EWHC Exch J36 76 ER 637, the court expounded which of the following rule?
A. The Golden rule
B. The Red rule
C. The Mischief rule
D. The literal interpretation rule
Correct Answer - C. The Mischief rule
8. The judiciary when interpreting a criminal statute generally applies which of the following rule of interpretation?
A. Forgiveness rule
B. Rule of literal interpretation
C. Beneficial interpretation
D. Golden rule of interpretation
Correct Answer - B. Rule of literal interpretation
9. “A person to whom an authority or decision-making power has been delegated to from a higher source, cannot, in turn, delegate again to another, unless the original delegation explicitly authorized it”, Which maxim fits this explanation?
A. Delegatus Non Potest Delegare
B. Audi Alteram Partem
C. Nemo Judex in causa sua
D. Reddendo Singula Singulis
Correct Answer - A. Delegatus Non Potest Delegare
10. Which out of the following is a statute?
A. A circular issued by a private club regulating entry
B. A set of rules made for a game of UNO
C. A bye-law made by the Municipality for segregation of waste
D. A pamphlet instructing the use of a herbal hair dye
Correct Answer - C. A bye-law made by the Municipality for segregation of waste
11.Section _____ of the General Clauses Act, 1897 deals with the meaning of service by post.
Correct Answer - C. 27
12. Which of the following is not a general rule of interpretation.
A. a statute must be read as a whole
B. same word to have the same meaning
C. a construction to avoid absurdity is permissible
D. technical words to have the ordinary meaning
Correct Answer - D. technical words to have the ordinary meaning
13. Which of the following is based on the principle that a law that violates fundamental rights is not a nullity or void ab initio but becomes unenforceable.
A. Doctrine of waiver
B. Doctrine of lifting the veil
C. Doctrine of severalty
D. Doctrine of eclipse
Correct Answer - D. Doctrine of eclipse
14. The general rule is that a taxing statute should be construed ______ , that is, a person should not be taxed unless the words of the statute unambiguously impose the talk on him.
Correct Answer - D.Strictly
15. The effect of an Act that has expired or was repealed was that for all purposes it would be presumed that the Act _____ existed unless the contrary intention appeared.
Correct Answer - B. Never